[etni] Re: etni Digest V3 #97 Whu I'm Exhausted

  • From: Ariella Kopels <mckopels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:24:04 -0700 (PDT)

Dear ETNIers,
     First of all I can't tell you how comforting it
is to know that I am not the only teacher feeling,
exhausted, frustrated & in general -  fed up. I really
love to teach, but have, of late, found myself
considering a career change. I feel that the Bagrut
has become the be all and end all of the students
lives.
     In the past my teaching  goals were to give my
students a good working knowledge of English, to
expose them to literature and culture & last on the
list to prepare them for the Bagrut exams.I knew how
to do they because I was familiar with the exam and
could teach them how to approach it in an intelligent
manner. Isn't it sad that so many of the teachers
writing to ETNI say that they are perplexed by the
questions that our students have to answer. What
exactly are we testing? Isn't it strange that
experienced English teachers don't have a clue as to
what the testers are looking for & if, indeed, we are
clueless how does that bode for the students?
     I agree in principle with the idea that students
should be able to retake an exam to improve their
standing - but perhaps if the exam were valid in the
first place students wouldn't be so hysterical about
taking, retaking & retaking modules again.
     I think that there is more at stake here than the
exam itself, I think that somewhere in the process the
students have lost the notion that there is a joy in
learning and that knowledge is power. How can we
instill this in our students when most of the process
doesn't make any sense.
    In any event - to all of you who write in and let
out the feeliings of the rest of us - thank you. To
the whole ETNI community - the writers and the
"lurkers" - hang in there, we're not alone. Happy
Passover (Spring break or other observances) to all.
Best,
Ariella Kopels
--- FreeLists Mailing List Manager

http://mail.yahoo.com