[etni] disengagement novel

  • From: Avi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 11:59:23 +0300

Hanah,
If  you believe that the disengagement novel is important from a
historical/educational point of view to students then by all means encourage
your students to read it, for example for extensive reading.  I teach a unit
surrounding Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech and the history of
African Americans and encourage students to read books like "Uncle Tom's Cabin"
however, I don't think that it justifies putting it into the bagrut literature
program.

I think it is a little bizarre to think about the ministry adopting it as part
of the literature program for bagrut - no disrespect for the author whom I'm
sure is an extremely talented and bright individual, but hardly on the same
level as Shakespeare or the other literary giants of our time whose work is
included on the literature bagrut program.

Best wishes,
Judi G.