[etni] definite artice with practice

  • From: joseph barnett <jophrabo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 00:09:00 -0700 (PDT)

For the record I sent this email to you on the 10th  in reply to Amy but it was
“undeliverable.” My remarks also relate to David G’s email. I hope it reaches
you this time.
Joe Barnett

Dear Amy,
In answer to your last question: if you qualifed it it would be OK, e.g. “I’m
going to the basketball practice which we have in the gym tonight.” As for “I’m
going to the basketball practice” out of context – I agree with you – it is
unacceptable.

I don’t think “practice” is a fully-fledged count noun, not in formal English
at least. I think it’s like “homework”. You might teach your pupils not to say
“I did three homeworks” but you may still hear teachers in the staff room
saying this. [My grammar checker didn’t like it either!] “We had three
basketball practices this term” – not the best formal English.

Regards,

Joe