[etni] Re: common errors (or a lesson in etymology)

  • From: Avi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: remanuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 12:58:02 +0300

Dear Rachelle,

Just wanted to thank you for your very interesting short lesson in etymology -
I have always been curious about these seemingly English words (actuali /
sympati) that are used in Hebrew but have different meanings to the English
equivalent.  Now I know!

I had guessed that "by us" was linked to Yiddish as it tends to be used with
first or second generation native Yiddish speakers.

Perhaps you can answer a question for me about the word "nervous".  Why in
British English it is used as "apprehensive/scared" and definitely not for
"irritated/irritable/worked up" which would be the literal translation of
"atzbani" as many Hebrew speakers seem to think.

Best wishes,
Judi G.