[etni] cannot vs can not

  • From: Alexa Raine <rainefam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:04:16 +0200

Hi List
To quote John McEnroe;

"You can NOT be serious!!!!! " is a good example of when these words CAN be
separated

And what about " "Of course, I can NOT go, if you prefer..."

Hears a link I found which might shed light on the dilemma

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-cannot-and-can-not.htm

or this example

The Washington State University language site says:

  These two spellings [cannot/can not] are largely interchangeable, but by far
the most common is ?cannot? and you should probably use it except when you want
to be emphatic: ?No, you can not wash the dog in the Maytag.?

  Many other examples but I think these are the most useful - or maybe I just
can not/cannot/can't be bothered to look for more....;)

  Alexa Raine