[etni] book tasks

  • From: Lebowitz <surmoish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 23:53:21 +0300

To continue the book task discussion, I also do the book tasks in class for
all the above reasons.  But I give the students a deadline date and they
must bring the book with them to class.  This way they can refer to the
book, flip through the pages, and use some of the vocabulary from the book
while they are writing.  I also give them a page with a variety of book task
options that allow them to choose what is relevant to the book they have
read.   My experience since starting to work this way two years ago is
excellent.  The students all finish reading their books and have a proper
writing experience in the classroom.  Once a year I also do the book task
orally.  It is time consuming, but while the class is at work doing
something else I meet for 5 minutes with each student and we talk about the
book.  It's a great experience for all involved and I recommend it.  The
kids are of course very nervous about it, but unlike the oral presentations
I require in front of the entire class, these are personal which makes it
easier for them to deal with.