[etni] Tidruch today

  • From: Linda <lsk120@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:30:55 +0300

I must say that I think Sharon Stern had a good idea for a possible/ partial
solution to the problem of money. She suggested going back to the system of
having students pay for the bagrut exams. Even if they had to pay 20 NIS an
exam, that wouldn't be asking a lot from the students, but it would bring in
needed money. The students who really can't pay will be helped like they are in
other areas. How much does a movie cost? I don't see our students thinking
twice about paying for that!

She also suggested doing away with taking the highest mark and having the last
bagrut done count, as was done in the past. This will stop our students, who
did extremely well, from doing it again (and again and again and again.... ),
hoping for even a higher mark.  Think of how much money could be saved right
there, as Sharon had mentioned.

Of course, other important issues were raised, most notably, the inhumane
conditions we are expected to mark under.We all laughed when Barry spoke,
because sadly, we all can identify all to well with what he had said.

Just as others brought up on ETNI and at the Tidruch, we shouldn't compare what
others in other subjects are getting paid. Although it helped to highlight the
discrimination towards English bagrut markers, we should focus on why our
conditions have to be changed. The justification for modifying our system is
strong enough without bringing in how many booklets math, Arabic or French
bagrut markers mark per hour.      I must admit I was shocked when I heard how
much a teacher is paid for marking the Meitzav exams. I think next time I'll
sign up to mark them!  :)

I felt I had to respond in some way to the events of today.
We have to stick together and not give in. The result will be a "win-win"
situation for all.

Linda Kuras Mizrahi