[etni] The right kind of peer pressure?

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 01:30:29 -0700

(To view the whole article, go to - www.etni.org/news/peerpressure.htm )

The right kind of peer pressure?
Haaretz - April 1, 2005

Tel Aviv resident Eddie Landau is used to being told that she and her
husband made the wrong decision by sending their three-year-old
daughter to a nursery school where English is the dominant language.

"People tell me all the time that we're confusing her, that she won't
fit in, that she won't understand Hebrew," says British-born Landau,
who appears unfazed by the censuring. "The way we see it, she is going
to learn Hebrew anyway as we mix with lots of Israelis and she'll go
into the general school system. Then, she'll probably prefer to speak
Hebrew like her friends. In the meantime, we want to give her a strong
basis in English."

American-born Kory Bardash, who lives in Jerusalem, also sends his
two-year-old son to an English-speaking nursery school. "I'm married to
a fifth generation Jerusalemite who speaks to him in Hebrew, so it was
important for us to supplement his English," says Bardash, who admits
he hopes his son will stop saying `America' with a thick accent that
reminds him of an old Yiddish man. "The reality is that growing up
here, he may speak English with an accent, or not as fluently as I
would like," he continues. "So we're doing the best we can to
strengthen his English, which means sending him to an English-speaking
gan [nursery school or pre-school] until gan hova [compulsory
kindergarten at the age of five]."

(To view the whole article, go to - www.etni.org/news/peerpressure.htm )