[etni] Re: Read Regular and other fonts

  • From: "Ellen Hoffenberg-Serfaty JD" <serf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:21:16 +0200

Hi all,

Regarding the Read Regular font, I corresponded with Natasha Frensch,
who is the contact person, awhile ago, about its availability.  Her
response:

"Dear Ellen,

Thank you for your interest into the Read Regular typeface.

At the moment I am working on the distribution for the typeface to make
it
available on Mac and PC. I will keep your details on file and send you
more information on ordering the typeface as soon as I have everything
in place."

Hence, it will likely be awhile before it will be distributed--and I
would guess it will cost.  The publication advertised on the site,
likewise, requires payment.

Those looking for a good font might try:
http://www.aph.org/products/aphont.html
Aphont is free from the American Printing House of the Blind--it is
advertised for low vision, but also is used often for those with
learning difficulties that translate to difficulties for print.

Someone said use Comic Sans--we often use this, but sometimes it leads
to distortions, unless you use a smoothing tool (a special tool
available with some magnification programs).

Which font is best?  Without getting too technical (and there is a lot
of technical aspects for this question)--It depends on the
environment--some fonts are not widely available, so if you plan to use
on a website or transfer documents among computer systems, it is good to
offer something more readily available, or alternative codes.

Above all, the student should be offered a choice of fonts, in various
sizes, as well as Bold or regular--they often express very clear
preferences, which are usually confirmed in how they read the font
chosen.

There are a couple of sites that talk about this in more depth--if
anyone is interested, just drop me a note.

Ellen Serfaty
serf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
EFL and Tech Coordinator, Learning center for Blind & Dyslexic
Hebrew U, Mt Scopus
Course Coordinator--Working with Students with SEN, David Yellin
Teacher's College

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:16:53 +0200
From: "Rachel Arenstein" <rachelr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] type face for dyslexics