[etni] LATIE

  • From: James Backer <drjamesbacker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 06:57:15 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings, all!

Rodney, from Malaysia (.my = Malaysia), has offered
ETNI members a very well constructed micro-mystery
that very frequently occurs on the Internet. I will
definitely use it in my Cambridge College courses
about the Internet. Thanks, Rodney.

Let?s assume that the LATIE Web site at
http://latie.org/ is factual and that we accept the
value of creating recognized standards for courses in
EFL/ESL/ESOL etc.

Nevertheless, who are ?leading international
organizations and individuals? who established LATIE
in 1999? The Web site doesn?t say. The Web site also
refers to a Board of Governors, but does not list the
members or the organizations that they may represent.

The Web site states that LATIE ?was founded in 1999 as
an evolution of the United Nations conference on
Intercultural and Multicultural Education in Montreal,
Canada?, but does not say that the United Nations
founded LATIE.

The Web site also states that ?the initial LATIE
mandate was endorsed by LATIE attending participants
at the 2000 World Education Forum in Dakar, Senegal,
entitled The Dakar Framework for Action: Education for
All.? Please note that the Forum did not endorse LATIE
and its mandate, rather, a number of ?LATIE attending
participants? (Who? How many?) endorsed their own
?initial mandate?.

Possibly the most interesting thing about who LATIE
is, or isn?t, is found via the UNESCO ?Right to
Education? icon in the upper right corner of LATIE?s
home page, visually implying that UNESCO is somehow
connected to LATIE. When you click on this link, you
get another nicely constructed LATIE page entitled
?UNESCO AND LATIE?, once again giving the impression
that there is some kind of organizational tie between
the two. All seven paragraphs on the page are about
UNESCO, not mentioning LATIE even once, although the
seventh paragraph does mention NGOs (non-governmental
organizations), which we can assume includes LATIE.
The page ends with a single sentence, shouted in
all-caps, in a large red font: ?LATIE IS PROUD TO
SUPPORT UNESCO IN THE PERSUIT OF RIGHT FOR EDUCATION
FOR ALL.?  Well, LATIE?s support for UNESCO is very
commendable, but there is no hint of UNESCO?s
reciprocal support for LATIE.

As a final comment on the LATIE Web site, I would like
to point out the brilliant use of the Passive Voice.
Many admirable things are being said and done
through-out the Web page, but the agents are poorly
identified, if identified at all. Once again,
everything in the Web site may be factual and the
goals of LATIE may be good ones, but a careful reading
leads to many unanswered questions.

Jimmy

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:05:13 +0800
From: Rodney Tan Chai Whatt <rodt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Website: Licensing Authority for the
Teaching of
International

Dear All,

Here's a news tidbit from another mailing list about a
body that is in
charge of International English.

Does anyone know more about this body? It claims to
have been the
result of
a United Nations Conference held in Canada.

Best regards,

Rodney Tan Chai Whatt

"An independent body to serve as a global English
language directorate and Standards authority serving
the needs of English Education worldwide."
http://latie.org/whatis.php

Good luck.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide