[etni] Re: I missing something

  • From: "Sara Welts" <linci@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:46:47 +0200

Hi Etnians!

I have a number of comments to make on the issue of the tziyun shnati.

We have created a system in which each teacher must give at least 3 tziyunim
shnatiim and in many cases 5 such grades, as pupils try to do a lower level
bagrut and then work themselves up to the next level.  (For ex. in my
twelvth grade class half of the class took the 4 points in the winter and
are planning to take the 5 this summer, as they know they have nothing to
lose.)  This is terribly burdensome on the teachers as they give matkonot
for each module (I know they don't have to, but the fact is that most of us
do).  Then they have to give a tziyun shnati where pupils have the right of
appeal (5 times!!!).  Of course we have explained on what the mark was
based, but they continue to say:  "You know I can get a 90 on Module X, why
are you ruining my chances of succeess?  What does a book report or a
literature test have to do with how well I can do on this module? "  We have
all heard this and similar claims again and again.

Conclusion?  One does not have to be a rocket scientiest to figure out that
the best way for a capable pupil to take these modules is without  a tziyun
shnati, i.e. externally.   We hear our students whispering this in the
background.

Another problem is the fact that there is no uniform manner in which
teachers calculate the tziyun shanati.  I know that there is an official NBA
directive as to how this is to be done, but how many teachers calculate
their grades in this manner?  At the last hishtalmut I attended a week
before the winter exam, I asked seven teachers how they were planning to
calculate their grades.  I got 7 different answers- two of which were "I
have no idea". The others had there own systems and would probably come up
with different grades for the same pupils.  The suggested formula has not
been adapted by many.

There are reasons for this, but the bottom line is that there is no
uniformity in giving these grades, and as such I am very much against the
suggestion to change  the ratio of the tziyun shanati from 50% to 80% .    I
and others could probably make suggestions as how to alter the formula so
that it could easily suit everyone, but that is another issue.  As it
stands, I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that 50% of our pupils'
grades are composed of unknown elements based on decisions made by
individual teachers.  I am sure these teachers mean to do the right and fair
thing, but as long as there is no uniformity, there can be no fairness.

Shavua Tov,
Sara