[etni] HOTS

  • From: Louise - <lu_mmm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 03:54:02 -0400

Dear All,

I must say something.

While I am not a 100% fan of how the HOTS program was to unfold, I am left with
a bitter taste in my mouth with the recent news. I see no victory here. I have
heard many say they love literature and love to teach it. But what about the
scores of teachers who dont, and probably havent been teaching it? What kind of
experience have their students had over the past years? What kind of experience
will they have now? Think about the students in their classrooms.

Additionally, I have really objected over the past months to the acrimonious
tone and often downright bullying by many teachers whom I admire otherwise. It
really turned me off. I do not believe people felt they could openly state
their feelings on Etni unless you were an anti-HOTS person - if you look at the
messages over the past year, you will see a dwindling of pro-HOTS or even
lukewarm comments and a dominance of the other. I am also of the opinion that
there are tons of teachers who dont care one way or another.  Now we are left
with a group splintered into many factions which is sad as we have enough on
our hands as it is.

Personally, for the next 3 years, I would like to see a task force made up of a
cross section of teachers to meet along with the Inspectorate in a series of
"roll up your sleeves and get to work meetings" to achieve what we all want -
an excellent program for our students and to look at all aspects of the Bagrut.
The requirement to join is a pledge to work with those who may have an opposing
view. I would like to see this group earnestly work together in a spirit of
cooperation under the motto: "There are no problems. Only solutions to
problems." Call me a cockeyed optimist.

Louise