[etni] Fwd: re: accommodations

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:25:46 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michele Ben <mggben@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [etni] Fwd: re: accommodations

In the high school, kids are usually allowed to use the dictionary for
the entire exam.  If there are parts of the exam that the teachers
decided should be done without a dictionary, teachers can also decide
to allow an LD kid use a dictionary.

In the jr high there are no clear cut rules.  A dictionary is NOT
allowed on the Meitzav.  Here is what our school does on jr high
tests.  No one is allowed to use a dictionary  on the parts of the
exam that we decided would be without a dictionary.  This is the
vocabulary component of the exam.  The unseen and writng can be done
with a dictionary.  Even kids with an electronic dictionary
accomdation are not allowed to do that part of the exam with their
dictionary.  HOWEVER, in cases of a kid like Jennifer described - a
hard-working, diligent kid who obviously is trying their hardest and
doing their best but really can't remember vocabulary because of
severe language retreival problems, we allow them to use their
electronic dictionary.  THESE KIDS ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.  It's
better for most of the LD kids to work hard and do their best to
acquire as much vocabulary as they can.  We would rather give these
kids the meaning of a word, two or three that's particularly bothering
them than allow them to use the electronic dictionary for the entire
exam.

With LD kids (with all kids but especially LD kids) you need to be
sensitive to their needs.  For example, I have a kid in a 5 pt yud
class who I allow to use his electronic dictionary always on
everything.  Not one of the other kids has whined about that - not
even other electronic dictionary kids who DON"T get to use their
dictionaries on everything.  That particular kid has severe retrieval
problems.  His memory is inconsistent and unrieliable when it comes to
language.  But in the JHS, we didn't allow this, even with him.  And
he managed and he's in 5 points and doing well.  I'm sure that one of
the reasons that he is able to manage is that he was forced to acquire
a basic vocabulary which enables him to function.  Had he been allowed
to use the electronic dictionary for everything in the JHS, I doubt he
would be where he is today.

Michele