[etni] Fwd: preparing for exams

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 07:37:34 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Avi Tsur <tsuravi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: preparing for exams

Why are teachers pressured to teach from 7th grade for the Meitzav
that is in 8th grade??? WHY??? Teachers should be using the regular
APPROVED coursebooks with their students as preperation for the
Meitzav and yes, a couple of weeks before the exam, do 1,2 or 3
Past-meitzav exams to familiarize the students with the format. If
this is not acceptable by your principal (who is not an English
teacher), involve your school inspector who will support you.

Likewise for the modular bagrut. Pupils who are not ready for any exam
should not be made to take it. Sometimes taking 1 module in 10th grade
can be good as an incentive to motivate students to continue. This can
only be true where you can assure success. A student who fails or does
poorly in any exam (bagrut or other) is demoralized. You their teacher
need to make this clear and if the authorities think otherwise, why
not contact your regional inspector.

How many of you remember testing Monologues for the Oral Exam. How
many of you recall hearing the same pre-prepared teacher versions that
came from the innocent mouths of the pupils of the same class. And the
same goes for the Literature as was tested in the past, what some
teachers call teaching literature. The alternative to this is having
our pupils think and for them to be creative. Thinking has never been
an obstacle to learning and should be done at all levels in all
subjects for all the pupils. Yes, very often we are pleasantly
surprised by our weaker pupils who show that they are not dummies as
many teachers feel. Meaningful teaching is meaningful learning and so
I SALUTE the teachers who see (and have informed me) the value in
teaching the new program. In the years to come, in the future, it is
your students who will tell you that empowering them to think helped
them through life. Learning to think in English (before, after or at
the same time as in Hebrew) is a life-skill.

By the response that I have already received from teachers in my
region I am heartened to know that like teaching to think, you too
have thought this through weighing the advantages and disadvantages.
And for those teachers who have decided on other options of teaching,
you will continue to receive my full support as in the past.

Take care and all the best,

Avi