[etni] Fwd: Re: student teachers on ETNI

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 07:40:08 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: francine widerker <widerker@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: student teachers on ETNI

I feel a need to add my two cents here.
When I was a student in Gordon English Intensive program the message
was very clear.  Always double check your spelling.  You are an
English teacher and errors in spelling, even when they are typos are
unacceptable anywhere, anytime, and any place.
I too have never corrected any one's spelling on the list but I have a
very sad tale to tell.

When my oldest daughter (now 23) was in 9th grade she wrote a report
that her English teacher didn't feel was well organized.  Her teacher
at the time, was not a native English speaker and unfortunately there
were a lot of spelling and grammatical errors in the teacher's comment
page.  My daughter, who was in an irate and snooty stage at the time,
responded by grading the teacher's comment page and correcting it with
red ink.

I walked into the principal's office and asked him for advice on how
to handle it.  The solution they found was to pull her out of the
English class and a different teacher provided her with self-study
guidelines.  I needless to say, was left with a huge conundrum at
home.  She is not allowed to mouth off at a teacher.  She must respect
a teacher. The message at homeis clear. Yet the teacher made a joke of
herself.  I write this freely as I know that the teacher in question
no longer teaches and is not on the list.

And here is an outrageous thought.  Maybe someone who doesn't know
basic spelling should not be an English teacher.  I, on my part,
promise never to teach Hebrew.

Francine