[etni] Fwd: Re: Cannot vs. Can not

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:49:34 +0200

From: "sbshai" <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Cannot vs. Can not

Thank you Lev, Chaim and Reuben for making an important clarification.
However, in the example I cited, the student was neither complaining about
continually coming late to class (that's the teacher's domain!), nor
regretting his action; he was simply stating a fact -- i.e., that he
regularly arrives after the bell.  Obviously, this action should be
expressed in the
simple tense.
Granted that if he's not bragging, but rather wants to convey penitence, he
can use the progressive -- and it's very important to point out to L2
learners when the progressive can be used with stative verbs as well.

This just goes to show that we must be aware of the context of a sentence!

Shabbat Shalom,
Batya