[etni] Fw: re: misc. thoughts

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:02:40 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "sbshai" <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: misc. thoughts

Perhaps we can benefit from your experience: What would you do in a case
where students are told that 30 -50% of their project grade is based on the
work they do in class, but for whatever  reason this work (source
highlighting, summaries, drafts & revisions) doesn't materialize; however, a
decent / good / excellent paper is finally submitted from a trustworthy
student, along with an elaborate explanation or apology?  (Since English is
only one of many subjects the students take, a foreign language project
looming over their heads can truly be overwhelming -- even when the
teacher offers a great deal of assistance, as I'm sure most of us do!)

Project work is demanding and time-consuming for both teachers and students
(at least, in a 5 point class) if it's done correctly.  Many teachers (and
students) share the opinion that the time might have been better spent on
other aspects of language learning.

It seems that what you're describing, Esther, is task work rather than a
full-length research paper.  This is indeed something the students usually
enjoy doing, though I think 6 weeks of class time is too long to devote to
it.

In terms of long-lasting language acquisition, my experience has been that
only the most diligent and/or capable students benefit from extensive work
on projects.

I'd appreciate hearing about the experiences of other colleagues.
Thanks,
Batya

Esther wrote:
Hello! I've been off the net for a few days, and just plowed through the
last few days of Etni letters.
Firstly,regarding the NBA:  I agree with most complaints posted, except
for those about the projects, as I believe  Ora already mentioned. Since
YOU and your staff can decide the rubrics for marking the project, you can
give as many points as you choose for "preparation," as well as the
presentation, and not give the majority of points to a paper partly
(mostly?) cut and pasted from good 'ole "Wicky." (Of course, pupils are
cognizant of the point system from the word "go.")
The vast majority of my pupils adore the projects. I have seen the most
remarkable presentations such as skits; home-made videos (i.e. a
stupendous video on the Baba Sali and his shrine many years ago;) diaries;
posters; travel brochures (i.e. research question: "What is Tunisian Jewry
like today?" --> the girls made gorgeous brochure highlighting Jewish
places of interest there.)  Of course, power-point presentations are one
of the several tasks most girls do. (I request more than one task, unless
an extremely weak pupil is involved.) We get great  feed-back from our
pupils who love the 6 weeks of intensive project time.
They also find it extremely helpful and time-saving that I provide each
group with 2-3 sites on their topics in English that they can deal with to
get them started. (So much of the information on the web is academic and
way above their level. Also, I insist on at least 2 other sites besides
Wikipedia!!)
Regarding the bagrut, most of my pupils found this year's D extremely
tricky (I agree,) indeed easier than the E; many of my seniors did both
modules and complained about this. The other modules were basically fine
with interesting texts and good topics for compositions. But, I hate
wasting money and it seems a horrific waste of finances to have 2 bagrut
exams a mere 3 weeks apart; it defeats the entire reasoning for moed alef
and bet. **sigh** Since when have things ever been logical in this
country?
May we all have a quiet summer security wise and time to recuperate from
this hectic year. All the best!

** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org or - http://www.etni.org.il **