[etni] Fw: re: class placements / finishing English by end of 10th grade

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 09:21:36 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: a a <yebs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: class placements / finishing English by end of 10th grade

I meet with the principal, and together we decide about the class
placements.
Under no circumstances should the dovrei anglit finish English in tenth
grade.  First of all, they will get better bagrut grades if they take the
test in the eleventh grade.  But more importantly, two years of high school
English are totally inadequate.  In the U.S. four years of English are
required, despite the fact that all their schoolwork is done in English.
Why should we deprive students of such a basic subject?  These are students
who can really do something with their English!  Moreover, Misrad Hachinuch
guidelines specifiy at least three years of high school English for native
speakers (preferably to be followed by additional coursework, such as
translation.

Esther Schupak