[etni] Fw: re: ambiguous Bagrut Questions

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 17:09:53 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: weiner_g@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ambiguous Bagrut Questions

Hi all,
I agree. When will the ministry take the listening out of the exams. I
cannot go through another bagrut day running around making sure that all
students have heard the listening because one of the "testers" has by
mistake moved the frequency button or decided to talk or read the newspaper
while our kids are struggling to hear the listening through old fashioned
radio receivers that our workers found in an old dusty room at school.
It's absolutely ridiculous!!! When will they change the exams and go back to
grammar, rewrites , etc. Then, maybe, we won't hear students, parents,
teachers and principals saying- לא צריך ללמוד לבחינות באנגלית . When will
they all take us more seriously?????
Gilat

Phil wrote:
>You are not the only one who is nostalgic for the days when students
actually learned English and could prove it. Since those days the standard
of English has dropped and dropped. Just look at the textbooks of those days
and compare the standard to what there is today!
>You are right about it not being about English any more but about
>everything
else. It's not surprising that teachers and students are frustrated and that
the students who can afford it need to have private lessons. HOTS is just
one more example of what makes the MOE happy with no connection to what can
raise standards.

Ruthi wrote:
> I am sorry to sound so geriatric but is anyone else nostalgic for the good
> old Pre Module exams when we native speakers and experienced non native
> speaker teachers all agreed as to what the correct answers to the exams
> were? We used to sit around in a group while the kids were writing and
> prepare the answer sheets.
>Today we run around crazily checking that all is okay with the E module
>listening (which it isn't!) and barely have time to see the paper.And when
>we do ,we see that there are discrepancies and arguments among teachers as
>to which answers are acceptable!
>In the cloze and the rewrites there was no such problem. WE had a body of
>material to teach.We knew what grammar topics would appear in the
>rewrites,and what kind of questions to prepare our students for in the 5
>point literature questions. Am I just too old or is the NBA really more
>chaotic and less of a language test and more of an intelligence test?

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal