[etni] Fw: re: Teacher vs Teacher

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 07:34:13 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Louise - lu_mmm@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Teacher vs Teacher

Dear Ruth and All Interested Parties,

Let me say that my suggestion to have  English teachers organize and have
representation within our "ranks" was just an idea. While I know that some
individuals have spoken to Ran Erez recently about HOTS, I had no idea that
we have formal English teacher representatives in the union. I would
appreciate knowing their names and how to contact them. Again, my suggestion
was absolutely not meant to show any disrespect to these individuals, to
divide us as teachers, or to create a new organization.  It was an idea to
try to find a way to move us towards making concrete steps to have our
important grievances addressed. Teachers in my school meet, discuss our
problems as we do in this forum but usually it goes no further than that.
Wouldnt it be nice to know that our union is regularly hearing our voices
though representatives? Additionally, other than this forum, my
understanding is that Etni and Etai are organizations for teacher
development and not  places where we can go to when we have problems.
Lastly, I would think it would be more effective for English teacher
representatives to regularly speak with Ran Erez about our collective issues
than for us to meet with him individually, if indeed he would agree to do
that.

I hope that clears up any misunderstandings.

Louise

Ruth wrote:
>Louise actually we already have individuals representing us vis a vis the
>union.We had a group of people who already met with Ran Erez after the
>union rep failed to turn up at Etai conference as arranged. Those people
>presented our case very ably to Mr Erez and they were impressed with his
>attention to ,and knowledge of our grievances.
Therefore there is no need to have any chapters,or further representation
.It will only get muddled if we split up.WE must remain united in our cause.
And maybe improve the communication system.Unfortunately there are still
some teachers who don't use Etni and /or don't attend Etai events. Believe
it or not there are even teachers who are not members of Etai!
I really don't think adding another organization is going to help.
Meanwhile Ran Erez is addressing our problems and I am sure that if you want
to address him individually you can do that provided you belong to the
union.

Louise wrote:
> Again, I would like to stress that either way we look at our school life,
> whether or not we get gmulim, stop teaching in April, have an easier class
> or discipline problems...either way we (ie none of us) are not earning a
> proper wage. We should not be "hen picking" these items....for me (anyway)
> it doesnt matter. My salary still stinks and I am uncertain if I can
> afford to continue in this profession.
So, let me make some other suggestions.
1. English teachers should unite and select 1-2 individuals who are willing
(and have the time) to represent us in our Unions. We should have our own
"organization" with local "chapters" each one organizing within its own
area. It all sounds rather exhausting though to implement but it may be our
only hope for swifter action.
2. In a previous posting I mentioned a letter writing campaign. I havent
received many letters back so far. Its ok if you dont want to do it, but the
offer still stands.
3. Continue as is.
Any other ideas?
Other points I want to make:
a. Regarding purchasing books - some schools have a library of text books
from which the kids borrow and use for the year and return. It was that way
when I grew up also. I think its a wonderful idea, thereby reducing the
financial burden on the families. I have students who cant afford to buy
their books.
b. Regarding high school teachers who stop teaching early -- I personally am
mystified at this and just "don't get it." As far as I know, it is nothing
we want but is thrusted on us. I was told that its not the teacher who stops
teaching, but it is the students who stop coming and it is supported by the
powers that be. This then gives us basically a 6 month teaching schedule -
ridiculous!
Thats all for now.