[etni] Fw: re: Intelligence or English

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 10:24:51 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janette Segal" <janjon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Intelligence or English

Hi David
I must say it is quite a pleasure to engage in these intellectual debates in
our native language! {if I had to do this in Hebrew it would be a different
story} I taught EFL in university for over 10 years to students who didn't
get enough points in their psychometric in English- so they needed to have
extra courses in English. In my view, the goal and the materials used in
these university EFL classes were excellent. Students - often of four and
five points Bagrut- were given lengthy academic articles in English to
read -the focus was on teaching them skills- how to quickly understand -main
idea-supporting details- global reading of a text- as well as close reading
of a test-in which they were given a few paragraphs{ about five} from the
article and they were asked also main idea-supporting ideas. Students needed
also to be aware of sequencing, comparing and contrasting ideas. The final
test met these objectives. The lucky teacher knew exactly what to teach- how
to teach it and the test {written by some of the teachers} was never a
surprise. The students were taught skills that were very beneficial for
their university courses- they became more confident readers of English.  So
can we learn something from all this? - The delight of writing and reading
intelligent mail? Perhaps sadly nothing else.
Best  Janette