[etni] Fw: more on practicing with CDs

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 06:49:51 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Aviva Shelter - avivashelter@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: more on practicing with CDs

Hi, I have been reading all of this with great interest and on the one hand
appreciate all the work you are doing to get things sorted and clarified. On
the other hand, the suggestion that schools continue testing in any way they
find comfortable does not sit right with me.

First of all, we will from now on be getting discs from the Ministry, if we
want to practice a bagrut for our pupils we will have to use the discs,
therefore we have to have the equipment to reproduce discs if we don't have
enough copies. Secondly, to make pupils buy a walkman which is hard to find
for internal exams and a discman which is equally hard to find for the
bagrut is a "rich man's solution". Not all of our pupils have the means to
do so and even if they do I am sure that parents won't agree. Thirdly, we
have to have the means to convert tapes with previous exams on them into
discs which includes all the software, computer, double disc burner etc.
This isn't just a one off, let's get the winter bagrut over with, it is what
will be for the next couple of years, until the ministry realises that disc
players, which are as delicate as they are hard to find, are not the
solution.

Sorry but I am being realistic here.. all the best Aviva Shelter.

Sharon wrote:
>I got two responses with people reiterating the importance of practicing
with CDs and pointing out problems with navigating a CD.

Whatever we think, I'm sure that there will be schools where teachers will
NOT prepare CDs for school testing if only because they don't have the
knowhow. In light of this fact, I've written Judy with the following
suggestions:

Some extra time be given to the students to compensate them for time needed
to "navigate".

That EACH paragraph be a separate track and EACH question be a separate
track. Instructions should also be on separate tracks. This means that exams
would range from 20-30 tracks. (CDs can theoretically hold 99 tracks). Of
course, the tracks would be in the order of the exam (obviously)

I also suggested that the ministry prepare a "table of contents" for each
module listing the tracks and their contents.

track 1 general instructions
track 2 Reading Passage Paragraph 1 (lines 1-10)]
etc.

I suggested that the table of contents either be included in the envelopes
with the disks - one per student - or be published in advance with all the
other LD instructions so that the school can run them off for the students
in advance. I think such a division of tracks and table of contents will
greatly help the students navigate the CD.