[etni] Fw: drawn into the book report discussion

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 20:59:28 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: laurie ornstein - laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: drawn into the book report discussion

Hi All,

Without repeating what's already been said...

I don't consider the time taken to write book reports in class as "wasted".
Especially, as has been mentioned, there are many weak pupils and this could
be a guided writing task with the teacher's on-hand guidance.

One more thing..we do not all read at the same speed. I've gone over from
setting a date for the finish line when the entire class sits and writes
book reports to staggered reading and reports. We start off the year
together, choosing books. However, when  pupils finish their books, we
briefly discuss them and choose a suitable book task to be done in class
while the rest of the class is reading. (I set aside 1 hour per week for
extensive reading). Sometimes I let them complete or type their final draft
at home after taking a peek at their classwork. Then they take themselves to
the library to pick a new title; they recommend books to each other and
often I help them find suitable book choices. There's a nice rhythm to it
all.

Last, remember,  the IMPORTANT part of all this is the READING and not the
writing.

Laurie