[etni] Fw: Summer Debate Workshop 2009

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 14:38:36 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "bronya_k" <genady_b@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Teachers' Summer Debating Workshops

Sia'h vaSig: The Israel Debating Society In-Service Teachers' Course:
Summer Debate Workshop 2009

Aleh Lod High School for Sciences
July 12-17, 2009

Sunday-Thursday 9:00-15:00
Friday 9:00-13:00 (optional)

* You will learn how to introduce debate (with all the four domains
integrated) into the English classroom
* Professional coaches from Israel and the United Kingdom will teach the
course, with the assistance of participants and winners of international
championships.
* The workshop is headed by Sia'h vaSig's founder Dr. Ann Kirson Swersky
* 28 Gmul hours (without grade)
* The number of participants is limited (20)
* You will be able to observe students learning debate and acquire hands-on
judging skills at the same time
* You will have at least eight hours of practical debate experience

Coordinator: Bronia Kabakovitch
genady_b@xxxxxxxxxxxx
052.3954625(no messages)
08-9211317
www.israeldebate.com

Program: Anchoring Public Speaking and Debating Skills in High School

We live in a world of human beings. Most of the obstacles we must overcome
are shaped not by the laws of nature but by the deeds of others. Most of our
desires require interaction with others to be fulfilled. Therefore, our
measure of success is to a large extent a product of our communication and
social skills. In order to achieve our full potential, we must maximize
these skills.

The aim of this course for teachers is to study verbal communication, to
improve these skills for themselves and to provide teachers with the tools
to facilitate the development of these skills in their students. The course
employs a unique system of learning, emphasizing active participation
instead of lectures. This means that all participants in the course will
receive practical experience in the field of public speaking, debating and
rhetoric. Furthermore, you will be able to implement many of the activities
and to foster the skills acquired in your own classrooms.

The theory studied in the course and the exercises improve the following
skills and abilities among others:

- Verbal communication
- Organizational skills
- Developing analytical thinking skills
- Boosting self-confidence
- Listening skills
- Pluralism and tolerance of different ideas.
- Teamwork
- Overcoming stage fright