[etni] Fw: Seller's market

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 06:57:17 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: byk - byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Seller's market

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

Why don't the English teachers realize they are in a seller's market - and
they are the sellers!!

English teachers could command any reasonable living wage they like because
there aren't enough  English teachers - and the situation is only going to
get worse.  How many English teachers do you know who are leaving the
profession this year, because they can't take it any more?

Are teachers going to come from English speaking countries?  Just look at
the Ha"Aretz talkback posted by Laurie Ornstein!

And it isn't just a decent salary you could command; you could demand decent
teaching conditions, not more than 20 pupils in a class, and no disruptive
pupils allowed to remain in class.

In addition to this, it is time you took the teaching requirements into your
own hands; you should have a say (a vote) where changes in Bagrut
requirements are made.  Today I was speaking to a teacher who loves to teach
literature, but with a class where over half the pupils have accomodations,
she never managed it - and she is an excellent teacher with many years of
experience.  And this was a year where she didn't have to do a project with
here clases, because of the Irgun sanctions.

It's time you all got together.  Form some sort of union.  Create a fund for
teachers who can't afford a long strike,a nd down tools for as long as it
takes.

I no longer teach in the school system, but will willingly contribute to a
fund.

Jennifer Byk