[etni] Re: Fw: RE: Differences between TESOL, TESL, TEFL

  • From: michele ben <benfam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:23:40 +0200

I looked this up once.  TESL is when English is either the main language spoken
in the country where the learner is learning or a major second language in that
country.  A major second language means that English is often heard and often
used as a language of communication even though it is not the official first
language of the country.  TEFL is when English is a foriegn language and not
used on a regular basis by regular people in the country where it is being
taught.  TESOL, of course, is anyone learning English who speaks a different
language as a mother tongue and this includes TEFL and TESL.  After reading
this, I tried to figure out where Israel fits in.  I suppose that we are
somewhere between TEFL and TESL.  I honestly don't think that this has any
bearing on anything except that with TESL the students have many more
opportunities for authentic language use in English.  I appologize for not being
able to quote the reference for this.  I found the information about three years
ago in a book in the Achvah library.  I assume it's in other books in other
libraries as well.
Michele