[etni] Fw: Problems

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 07:17:44 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: byk - byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Problems

Since I was the one who originally suggested that English teachers band
together to try to change what has become an absolutely impossible
situation - the teaching of the English language (not how to answer
questions on exams), in the Israeli classroom, from 1st to 12th grade, I
feel that it is incumbent upon me to try to organize something.

I'm not a good organizer.  I'm not sure where to start.  I am no longer part
of the system.  Furthermore, it has been pointed out to me that these may
not be the best times to ask for more money - except in principle.  However,
by the time we have got ourselves organized, the world's financial problems
will be better, so we might as well start now.

Of course the biggest problem is that all the English teachers, particularly
the native speakers, are so dumb that they can't answer the Bagrut
questions! (See today's crop of letters).   That was tongue in cheek, in
case somebody is ready to take offence.

Seriously, though, the Bagrut problems are certainly symptomatic of the
problems in the English classroom, and what the teacher is required to do.

Perhaps the first step is to try to draw up a  list of the problems.  For
example, as important and listening and speaking are, vast sums of money are
spent testing them in the Bagrut.  Perhaps that money would be better spent
elsewhere.  There are certainly other ways to teach listening which are more
effective than what is done now.

Then there is the question of textbooks.  With all due respect to the
publishers, and free enterprise, we are inundated with books.  How many
teachers finsish  their chosen book by the end of the year?  Answer
honestly.  When I taught in high school. I never got anywhere near the end.
As a private tutor, I can't remember ever having seen a pupil who  finished
the book.  Getting half way through it is more likely.  Furthermore, I feel
there should be more control, and better guidelines for teachers.
Benchmarks etc. are all very well, but really not precise enough.

Of course there is the problem of LD pupils, many of whom are not, as we
know.

There is the problem of streaming pupils.  Why can't the Ministry provide
guidelines as to who should be in what level.  Sample tests, for example.

Then there is discipline in the classroom.  Finally, teachers are admitting
that they can't manage, and that they are not to blame.  Teachers used to be
ashamed to admit that they couldn't 'control' the class, feeling that they
were then branded as failures.  We need tools to manage, and disruptive
pupils should be removed from the class.

Of course I could go on and on.  How do we go about setting up a manageable
list, and not fall nto the trap of decisions by committees?

Jennifer