[etni] Re: Fw: Meitsav Tests

  • From: Steiner Family <steiner1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:01:08 +0200

Dear Jennifer,

1.  Yes, there are hardly any changes in the Table of Specifications, which
defines the kinds of tasks given.  The writers of the exam have taken into
consideration that the tests will be given earlier this year and have adjusted
the level of the tasks accordingly.

2.  The decision to have the exams earlier last year was made by the
Director-General of the Ministry of Education.  One of the reasons for this
decision was to enable the Ministry to return the results of the Meitzav to
schools before the end of the school year.  I had suggested that the test be
given in the 6th grade instead of the 5th grade, but there were other issues
that needed to be taken into consideration and it was decided to keep the test
in the 5th grade.

3.  I really don't think that the tests should ruin the pupils' motivation.  It
should be explained to them that the Meitav is a tool that is meant to help
principals, teachers and pupils.  It gives the school an opportunity to know
how the pupils are learning English and in which domains they are doing well
and in which domains they need some help.

All the best,
Judy