[etni] Fw: Jewish and Arab students connect through debate

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 06:53:49 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: <laurnemadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Jewish and Arab students connect through debate

Coexistence through debate- worth a read!

And hats off to Dr. Rachel Tal at AMALand the US Embassy for making it all happen.

Laurie

Jewish and Arab students connect through debate
The Jerusalem Post - June 1, 2008

Yuval Carny, a 10th-grade student at Lady Davis High School in Tel Aviv, never worked with Arab students before.

However, when asked to partner with a group of students from the Arab town of Tira for a debate, she and her friends were not worried.

"Some people hesitated, not because of the fact that it was a school from Tira, but because we would be talking [in front of] many people," she said. "To the contrary, more people wanted to participate."

Carny was one of four students from Lady Davis to join with four from Tira High School in a formal debate last Thursday. Mixed Arab and Jewish teams competed to answer the question "Is the Internet an invasion of our privacy?" The event was sponsored by Amal, an organization that prepares Jewish and Arab teenagers for matriculation exams, and the US Embassy in Israel.

The debate's organizers chose a topic separate from political and cultural issues so the students could find common ground.

(To read the whole article, go to -
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull&cid=1212041448992 )

** Issue #5 of The Rag is out:
  http://www.etni.org/etnirag/issue5.htm **