[etni] Fw: Isn't it about time?

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 06:54:50 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: sbshai  -sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Isn't it about time?

Greetings ETNI readers,

WARNING: This is a longer than usual message!

The question I'd like to ask has already been brought up on this list by a
teacher more prescient about this need than I, but now that the HOTS program
is a burning issue on the agenda, perhaps the time is ripe to repeat it
since there was no satisfactory response previously.

Disregarding the many grave problems surrounding the new literature program
for a moment, this issue has brought to light a serious grievance we English
teachers (at least in Jerusalem, but I assume elsewhere as well) have with
the MOE -- namely, the unacceptable way in which our courteous request for
attention to professional concerns is being (mis)handled.

If we were to ignore our students' earnest questions in a similar manner
(or, unthinkably, treat them as underlings), we should not be surprised to
find ourselves unemployed -- and rightfully so.

Many colleagues acknowledge that this is in fact the case that applies to us
now, to one degree or another, but they feel powerless to do anything about
it due to the inertia we grew up with about the futility of "fighting
against City Hall" -- i.e., the powers that be.  Others, as I have pointed
out, are simply afraid of some imagined retribution if they're regarded as
complainers (never mind how valid the complaint!) and so prefer to suffer in
silence.  (Of course, there are always those who never question a work
related authority figure, and that's OK if it pleases them.  But we can see
the results of such an attitude : ever increasing demands and no recompense,
just complete disregard for our experienced opinions.)

Now back to the question in the subject line:  I speak for a growing group
of teachers who believe it's high time that our voices were heard. This is
not a call to don boxing gloves, just to do what it takes to be treated
respectfully (as is our due, especially as we have always dutifully tried to
carry out the Inspectorate's orders -- regardless of our feelings about
them).  Granted, we cannot individually or even in small groups approach the
VIPs, but there is at least one potential solution that may work if we so
desire.

Why not have every English staff appoint a representative to be its
spokesperson?  This does not necessarily have to be the rakezet; anyone
willing to volunteer a little time should do.  (After all, big issues, new
programs, edicts and such, don't usually come up more than once or twice a
year.)
If a problem arises that affects all of us, rather than merely venting on
the wonderful ETNI list, we can instead have our reps contact the unions (we
do pay them for something like this, remember!) to intercede for us with the
MOE.

Once we become well organized, we might even elect a few regional
representatives to contact the Irgun/Histadrut.  Though our salaries are
indeed pitiful for all the work we do, I'd venture a guess that most
teachers would be willing to allow a further nominal deduction on their
paychecks in order to cover the costs of these colleague-representatives
(for transportation, phone bills or whatever).

I hope this message can generate some discussion about the important issue
of 'how to get a message across to the boss' !

Wishing everyone a healthy winter,
Batya