[etni] Fw: Fw: grammar question

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 18:15:20 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reuben" <mreuben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: grammar question

David says, "The discovery of America is a one-time action. Once it is
discovered it can't be discovered again."

But Moses says, "I think there must be something wrong with me..."Yesterday
I ate a meal"....unfortunately, I repeated the experience, which must
explain my weight!"
He also says. :"It is also extremely difficult for me to define "recent".
For example, I suddenly came upon an amphitheater and some baths in
Caesarea. My gut response was, "Wow! The Romans have been here too!""
Hence, I prefer to teach the past simple in terms of very old-fashioned
terminology: The Historical Past, or Past Historical. The time of the action
is either known or implied. So, since Everybody knows (doesn't he?) when
Brown lived and worked (even if very vaguely), or when the Romans conquered
Britain, we use the Historical Past.
"Of course, if the action is not complete, we use the progressive, which is
used where there is even the remotest possibility that the action can be
terminated / changed. Hence, I would hope that you "called" and not "were
calling" for the ambulance when I "was dying" and not "died". Or, for that
matter, when I want to chat up a Swedish (oops) blonde (oops again, very
non-PC) on the beach in Eilat, I might ask her, "Where are you living?",
since it is not her Swedish address that is of interest to me. I would also
fire the English-speaking doctor who visits me daily as I lie on my hospital
bed and asks "How do you feel today", since his question implies the
impossibility of a change in my condition."
On that cheerful note,
Hag Sameach

Reuben