[etni] Fw: ETAI Newsletter 24 - October 2009

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 07:30:45 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: ETAI office - etaioffice@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: ETAI Newsletter 24 - October 2009

ETAI:  Keeping in Touch
Newsletter 24:  October, 2009

Dear Readers,
First of all, happy holidays to all our Jewish and Muslim members who have
just had and/or are about to have festive days at this season!

And best wishes for an enjoyable and learning-rich year to those of you who
are involved as teachers or students in the universities and colleges, and
are beginning the first semester of 2009-10 this month!
ETAI’s year begins on October 11th with the annual ‘retreat’ of the Board
(well, this is only the second time we’ve done it, but I hope it will be an
annual event).  We are meeting up at Amanda Caplan’s house to spend the day
together taking stock and making decisions about ETAI’s future.

Two days after this, on October 13th, marks the first mini-conference at
Maalot, where we held one of the very first mini-conferences two years ago,
on September 4th, 2007, to be exact.  (I’ve just checked my files.)  For
more details, have a look at the new ETAI website (see below), and please
come along if you are anywhere near this far northern corner of the country.

Further mini-conferences this year are planned for Ramat Gan, Maghar, Bet
Yerach, Migdal HaEmek and Rehovot. If I’ve forgotten anyone who is
organizing, or would like to organize, a mini-conference, please write to
Fran (fsokel@xxxxxxxxx) to tell her.

The Beer Sheva Conference is to be held on December 13th at Ben Gurion
University.  ETAI members have already received the Speaker Proposal Form,
which can also be downloaded from the ETAI website.  I hope that many of you
will already have sent in proposals: note that the last date you can do so
is October 14th … very soon!

I’m getting ready for my last year teaching at Oranim (hard to believe!),
and spent a pleasant half-day last week being introduced to the new computer
program which will form the basis for Oranim’s course websites.  The program
is called ‘Moodle’: some of you may know it.  The reason I’m mentioning it
is that Moodle also forms the basis for the website SEETA: the South East
Europe Teachers’ Association.  There’s a link to it on the ETAI homepage,
and it holds some very interesting ‘forums’ on different topics, where a
well-known ELT person starts the ball rolling and keeps responding, and
SEETA members from all over Europe write in to express and exchange
opinions. The most recent one was on technology in language teaching:
initiated by a fairly ‘anti-technology’ person, Scott Thornbury, who
provoked some very lively and interesting responses!  The postings are still
up there, so go in and have a look (Michele Ben and I also contributed, from
ETAI). And keep visiting occasionally: there will be more forums during the
year. Anyone can join in.

So … hope to see you soon at an ETAI event, mini or maxi …

Best wishes,

Penny Ur
ETAI Chair
ETAI website:  www.etai.org.il