[etni] Fw: 4 pt. bagrut

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:14:07 +0200

From: Tzila Rabinowitz  tzila@xxxxxxxxx
To: ask@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 5:39 PM
Subject: 4 pt. bagrut

 Hi All,
We have a former pupil of our school who will be taking the 4pt.winter
bagrut(old format of course). Since she has the "oral test"dispensation, she
will be tested orally with various sections of the exam eliminated as
instructed.
 What is the procedure for writing the composition? Does she dictate it to
the tester? Can she have time to write it and then read it to the tester?
Can she use her electronic dictionary to look up words (especially from
Hebrew to English)?
 We understood that a pupil who is tested orally for the written exam cannot
benefit from any other dispensation that he has such as "electronic
dictionary" etc.
 We hope someone can answer our question. Thanks.

 English staff - Ulpenat Hashomron

In the meantime, because I posted my letter on "freelists" (is that why I
didn't see my message in my e-mail?) I got an answer from Shoshana Ben
Yaakov from Himmelfarb High School. Unfortunately, your answer, Shoshana
doesn't coincide with the written guidelines for special testing conditions.
"Oral Examination"
"The pupil sits with a tester (not the pupil's own teacher) who reads the
examination to the pupil. The pupil tells the tester the answers. In cases
where a pupil needs a word looked up in the dictionary, the tester will look
up the word for him/her and read out the definitioins, letting the pupil
choose the appropriate meaning independently.
Pupil taking the four and five pt. exam are required to do the writing task,
but are required to write less. After writing down their compositon, they
read it out to the tester.............."

I understand that the pupil does not get the test before the tester reads it
to him, nor does he use an electronic dictionary. It's quite logical then
that he won't use the the electronic dict. for writing the compostion.
That's what we need to get confirmed.

Also, what's the difference between "freelists" and "ask etni"?
Thanks,
Tzila