[etni] [FWD: more on ETAI spring

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 23:26:19 -0700

From: "susan" <holzms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: more on ETAI spring

Special Guest Speakers at ETAI Spring!

Individualizing Student Learning through Web-based Resources
Leslie Opp-Beckman

Students come to our classrooms with a range of interests, abilities,
and needs. Addressing all of these issues can be a challenge for even
the most experienced educators. In this hands-on workshop we will
identify some examples of resources that are freely available through
the web that can help us individualize learning for our students. We
will also look at some examples of how other educators are managing the
individualization process in their language classrooms.

Making the Most of Cross-Cultural Learning Opportunities Online
Leslie Opp-Beckman

The past ten years have brought us the creation of the Internet along
with an ever-expanding array of educational resources that foster wider
communication and rich experiences in cross-cultural exchanges among
people worldwide. Now, more than ever, we can connect with and share
experiences and ideas with peers and colleagues around the globe. In
this hands-on workshop we will identify and evaluate for language
classroom use some tools and opportunities that are available for
connecting school-to-school, class-to-class, and person-to-person
online.

Teaching Reading Using Fiction and Non-Fiction
Andrea Schindler, Regional English Language Officer, US Embassy, Amman,
Jordan.

The presenter will begin by discussing the importance of recognizing the
need for both fluency and accuracy in reading.  She will then discuss
how teachers can use fiction to teach fluency reading skills.  The
presenter will then outline a plan to use non-fiction for teaching
accuracy that focuses on the importance of pre, during, and post
reading activities that incorporate critical thinking skills.

AND

Cooperative Learning:  It Works!
Andrea Schlinder, Regional English Language Officer, US Embassy, Amman,
Jordan

The presenter will begin by discussing the myriad benefits of
incorporating cooperative learning into any curriculum and how the
current research supports its institutionalized use.  She will then
explain step-by-step how to best implement cooperative learning
procedures into language classes in all four skill areas as well as in
content-based and task-based courses.

Check out the program: www.etni.org.il/etai/