[etni] [FWD: comment on teaching with computers]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:08:50 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: comment on teaching with computers
 From: "morris" <morris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Hi everyone
 I wanted to write a comment about your latest poll but could find the
place to do it. When I pressed Read/Add comment - i could nly read the
2 that were already there but found no place which allowed me to
comment.

 My comment is this:
 Adults and Kids have been using computers for quite a time now and
teachers have to keep adjusting programs and demands according to how
computer literate the students are.  One of the main problems is that
using computers at school requires that the school possess up to date
computers and a very good connection to the internet.  There is nothing
more frustrating for teachers than to find the computers in the room
don't work, or don't suit the material they wish to use with the
students. Worst of all is having a S L O W  connection to the internet
- which means that the kids have too much time on their hands while
waiting for the web pages to load.  Once the computer was a great
attraction - today - it many cases it is a distraction. Teachers have
to be well trained and feel confident about using the computers
available in the school. Teachers are lucky if they are in schools
where most if not all of pupils have a good computer at home. Then  it
is so much easier to say - look it up on the internet at home and/or
give in your assignments typed etc. The whole problem is with the kids
who do NOT have a computer at home - they really need a good computer
room at school and access to the computer outside school hours so that
they can do homework on the computers and use the internet to find out
about things they are interested in.

 regards to all
 Fay

*ETNI response - There is a "Add Message" buttom on the top right hand
side of the bulletin board, just beside the main title.