[etni] English textbooks ready, but only in pieces

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 07:44:37 +0300

English textbooks ready, but only in pieces
CTV.ca - May 29, 2009

There's more frustration and confusion about English textbooks in Quebec
after the education department informed school boards that some books will
only arrive chapter by chapter this fall.

The Montreal teachers association is upset, saying they can't properly do
their jobs without complete textbooks.

"It's unacceptable to give it to us in pieces," Ruth Rosenfield of the
Montreal Teachers' Association told CTV News on Friday.

"We want the whole thing. I'm not asking for icing, cherries, or whatever on
top. Just give us the textbooks and teacher guides."

Rosenfield says that she would rather the department delay the new books
altogether until it can send the complete set of materials.

Quebec has been revising the materials for the past 10 years as it phases in
education reforms.

English teachers and school boards have complained about delays in getting
English textbooks into the classroom.