[etni] Re: Book Reports

  • From: Bari Nirenberg <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sherry.kisos@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 19:19:14 +0300

What could be a better use of class time than having students actually
writing English?  The book report (or book task, as I never have my students
do a traditional book report) is supposed to be a learning experience, not
just a way to get a grade.  I don't see any point at all to having students
write at home when they can get so much outside help, whether from the
Internet, private teachers or other students.  I want my students to learn
how to write and the only way they can do that is by writing.  Since I want
to be sure that they are the ones writing their own work, I only do book
tasks, compositions and other writing assignments in class.
Bari