[etni] Answers to 'Urgent Question'

  • From: Margie Cohen-Jackel <margiecj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Hilla Cohen <hila_sh_c@xxxxxxxxx>, Yuval Cohen <cyuvalc@xxxxxxxxx>, Yanai David Cohen <cohen.yanai@xxxxxxxxx>, "Dr. Steven Jackel" <drstevenjackel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 12:51:24 +0200

Hi-  Sunday, December 11, 2011
Firs of all, thank you for your quick responses about how
the translation of   (with similar meaning) ×?×?×?קת קרש.

A few of you asked me what answers I received and what I decided to use in
the end:

-corny joke

-non-funny joke, unfunny joke

-bad joke

-poor joke

-flat joke

-pun

-knock-knock joke

-lame joke

-groaner

Well, I liked all of them and it was hard to decide.

But, in the end I went with* 'flat joke'* for two punny (תרת×? ×?ש×?×¢)
reasons:

-קרש is flat and it would make sense to the kids

-this kind of joke is 'flat' as in two day old cola that has barely any
fizz left

For the worst ones I used '*groaner' *and the kids all understood.

(If I had been  explaining what this is to English speaakers, I would have
used

'corny joke' but I didn't want the kids thinking this had any connection to
corn!)

Margie

Margie  Cohen-Jackel
M.S.S.A, MAJEd.