[etni] Alkhawarizmi High School English Day, Tamra

  • From: laurie@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:02:38 -0700

      In the midst of the latest spate of letters on the NBA, I'd like to
share with you once more a most inspiring experience I had at Alkhawarizmi
High School in Tamra yesterday. I was honored to be invited back there for
their annual English Day, a true celebration.      The program began with an
opening ceremony in the courtyard. The theme was "And End to Violence" and
anappropriate poster had been prepared  in advance on the topic for a
backdrop. Speeches were delivered to the student body and faculty by the
town's mayor and vice-mayor. Principal Dr. Hani Kridin spoke to the pupils
inEnglish as did Muzna Bashara, the school's English coordinator. A moving
speech was also delivered by one of the 11th grade students on the day's
topic. He spoke clearly and expressed himself very well and confidently in
impeccable English. Manal, his English teacher understandably beamed in
pride.  I was thrilled to sing a few songs to all those present.     Next,
the students participated in 4 different workshops which included drama
(roleplay) with a professional actor, preparation of T-shirts with theme-
related slogans, collages on the day's topic and a folksong workshop. I did
my best to hone in on the day's topic which also connected to an end to
prejudice and advancement of unity among all. We sang a few spirituals
together. The dulcimer I'd brought along captured their attention, too.
Iwas very impressed by the excellent organization. The English teachers had
worked hard to plan this special day and the fruits of their labor were
evident by the excitement and wonderful atmosphere that pervaded the school
yesterday morning. I can't help but mention, too the immaculately clean
corridors and classrooms as well as the polite and neatly-dressed, uniformed
pupils. I'd be most happy to work in this school anyday!      In conclusion,
I'd like to thank the English Dept. and principal for allowing me to
participate in this amazing day in the Galilee. It was certainly worth the
effort of all the travelling from the Negev. And for all those contemplating
an English Day, I'm sure Muzna and her fellow staff members would be happy
toshare their ideas and help. I look forward to returning to Tamra in the
not-too-distant future. Laurie Ornstein