[ethnolescht] "Why do we travel to other cultures?"

  • From: smajerus@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: Ethnolescht <ethnolescht@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 17:42:14 +0100

An anthropologist, an explorer and a tourist walk into a bar. They’re each clutching a spear. The anthropologist describes how it was presented to her on her seventh fieldwork season by the elders of the tribe. The explorer regales them with the tale of how he won the spear upon completing an initiation challenge the tribe had set for him, filmed for a documentary. The tourist explains that he paid $10 for his at the market, and needs to get back now otherwise the cruise ship will leave without him …

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/nov/23/explorers-anthropologists-tourists-benedict-allen?CMP=share_btn_tw

Gudde Rutsch,
steph