[ethnobiology-clubs] Fwd: Ethnobiology Clubs Mailing List

  • From: Nat Bletter <nbletter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ethnobiology-clubs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:32:07 -1000

I've set up the Ethnobiology Clubs Mailing List on freelists (same org as the SEB students one), and subscribed everyone in the previous mailings plus some other requests. This list is to figure out how to integrate regional ethnobiology clubs around the world into a cohesive unit, sharing activities, ideas, and perhaps converging for some meetings or retreats here and there.

Amy Keller of the NY group has posted info on just such an event:
Perhaps you've noticed that the Ethnobiology Club took a hiatus for the spring semester after co-sponsored guest speaker, Dr. Michael Coe, last fall at the Graduate Center. However, we have been saving our funds for a huge event this September. Please save the date for a Skill Share Weekend at Lacawac Sanctuary in the Poconos. We have a space reserved there for September 25-28, with accompanying meeting space for a few hours Saturday the 26th and Sunday the 27th. Ideas for skills to share include, beer/wine making, crafts, food recipes or preserving, local ethnobotany/edible and/or medicinal plants, research presentations, botanical and fungal identification, or any field/laboratory skills you think people could benefit from. Skills or presentations could be from any subject or interest, and EVERYONE is welcome, whether you've attended Ethnobiology Club events before or not. Also, attending for only one night is perfectly acceptable as many of us have busy schedules. We will be sending out an official call for presentors later this summer, but please contact me anytime with ideas or questions. Have a great summer.

There's info below on how to post to the list, have people subscribe (they can do that themselves), and remove yourself from the list. Enjoy!

Take care,
Nat

________________________________
Nat Bletter
UH Manoa/NYBG/CUNY Plant Sciences
http://sciweb.nybg.org/science2/Profile_45.asp
212-677-0222 cell
nbletter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Begin forwarded message:

Some important starter info:

- To post on your mailing list, simply send email to
ethnobiology-clubs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Users can subscribe to your list by sending email to
ethnobiology-clubs-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting your list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/ethnobiology-clubs The web-based administration suite allows you to add subscribers manually. If
you have a large list (i.e., thousands of users), feel free to email
staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with your subscriber list -- we can add your
subscribers manually (see below).

- Do not unsubscribe from your own
list -- doing so will render you unable to make configuration changes and
perform other administrative tasks.

- Full documentation of the online administration system is available at http://www.freelists.org/help/. We encourage you to get the most out of the web interfaces, and we encourage subscribers to do the same. Please let your list members know about the advantages of exploring the FreeLists Web Login. As an administrator, you can configure site preferences through the
FreeLists Portal Administrator, and list preferences through the
administrative portion of the FreeLists Web Login.  See
http://www.freelists.org/login.html for more information.

- View your list's information at http://www.freelists.org/list/ethnobiology-clubs and
your list's webpage (once you set it up) at
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/ethnobiology-clubs

- Online, searchable archives of your list are available at
http://www.freelists.org/archive/ethnobiology-clubs Each list's archive is
automatically updated as new messages come in.

- There's a FAQ at http://www.freelists.org/wiki/the_faq that you might
want to let your subscribers in on.

- There are some general guidlines to configuring your list at
http://www.freelists.org/help/recommended-config.html Any other questions
should be routed to freelists-users, described below.

- Got a large subscriber list?  We can help you subscribe them all!
Subscribing 10,000 users through the web interface can be quite a hassle and
take a long time.  We can do it for you behind-the-scenes: just email
staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx your subscriber list (in a plain text file, one email
address only per line) and we'll subscribe the users manually.

- We understand that you'll probably want to send some test messages to your new list to try out the features before putting the list into production. These messages will appear in the archives, so we've provided a feature that allows you to remove specific messages at will. Just log in to the Portal
Administrator and go to "Archive Settings."

If you have any questions or comments, at any point, please feel free to contact us by visiting http://www.freelists.org/contact.html or by emailing
staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx