[espeak-gaeilge] Re: the irish symbols.dic file

  • From: Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: espeak-gaeilge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:50:31 -0500

yes its working for me even though I am using nvda2012.3.

On 12/27/2012 10:32 AM, Ronan McGuirk wrote:
Hi Josh,

I did the following, and it seems to be working okay for me.

1. take a backup copy of my existing symbols.dic file  in c:\program
files\nvda\locale\en\symbols.dic

2. Copy the file DropBox/eSpeak/dictionaries/dic/symbols.dic  and use
this to replace c:\program files\nvda\locale\en\symbols.dic
3. re-start NVDA
4. change the NVDA voice settings to Irish Gaeilge

Note that you will need to copy the backup version of symbols.dic to
overwrite c:\program files\nvda\locale\en  when you go back to
english.

I am using NVDA version 2012.1 on Windows 7 Starter.

I don't know how differently this would work on other versions of NVDA
or Windows.

With this work-around in place, When I type a character or move the
cursor keys over a character, NVDA /eSpeak says the names of all the
alphabetic characters, including the accented characters correctly.

for example for í it says i fada ( which as you would know, means long i)

Note that í when read as a word should be pronounced ee. For example
in the sentence "ís múinteoir í" (she is a teacher).

Let me know if this works okay for you.

I would like to get an Irish locale for NVDA which would mean that
this work around would not be needed.

I think it makes sense to get a working synthesiser first before
setting up the NVDA Irish locale.

Hope this works for you.

Best Regards,
Ronan

On 25/12/2012, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I noticed some problems with the irish symbols.dic file. it does not
pronounce all of the accented letters correctly. i acute is not said
correctly it just says ee when arrowing over it.

Josh