[espeak-gaeilge] Re: latest espeak with Irish

  • From: Jonathan Duddington <jonsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <espeak-gaeilge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 01:53:16 +0000 (GMT)

On 20 Mar, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <omeadhrac@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> When I run eSpeak in interactive mode, i.e. after typing "espeak
> -vga" at the command prompt so that eSpeak waits for a word to be
> input, the á, é í ó and ú are not being spoken in any form by eSpeak.
> In a word like "tá" eSpeak says "tee" or for "cistín" eSpeak says
> "kisht-en" pronouncing the letter "n" at the end of the word.

> This behaviour does not occur in the command line mode. I can see in
> the JAWS review that the accented letters are printed on the screen
> even though eSpeak ignores them.

> Any ideas?

Yes, I've investigated and it seems to be some Windows character-set
weirdness.

Using Windows7.

I selected Spanish keyboard so that I could type accented characters
(the "Irish" keyboard didn't recognize ALT-comma as acute accent).

In command-line mode, Windows passes the accented characters using the
Latin-1 8-bit character set.  eSpeak prefers UTF-8, but it will accept
Latin-1 for Irish and Spanish.  So it speaks OK.

In interactive mode, Windows uses a different character set and eSpeak
doesn't recognize the accented characters.

In Latin-1 the character codes for the 5 accented vowels are (in
hexadecimal):

E 1, E 9, E D, F 3, F A.

In interactive mode eSpeak received:
A 0, 8 2, A 1, A 2, A 3.

The last two cause eSpeak to say "cent" and "pound".  The others are
punctuation or control characters in Latin-1 and cause eSpeak to split
the word at that point, which explains "kisht-en".

So that's the explanation.  Don't worry about it, except to know that
interactive mode won't work on Windows with non-ascii characters,
unless there is some option somewhere in Windows that you can change so
that it uses something sensible like UTF-8.

I tested NVDA with the Irish voice in SAPI5 eSpeak.  It speaks
lower-case accented letter names OK.  For upper-case, it also speaks
them correctly and raises the pitch to indicate a capital letter.