[espeak-gaeilge] Re: eSpeak and NVDA

  • From: Ronan McGuirk <ronan.p.mcguirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: espeak-gaeilge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:43:09 +0100

Hi Robbie,

If you want to use eSpeak with NVDA, you may not need to install
eSpeak separately..

The following instructions work for NVDA version 2012.1 and may work
for other versions as well.

These instructions are for making the Irish implementation to work
with NVDA. The separate full eSpeak install will let you run eSpeak
from the command line and will let you edit the speech rules within
eSpeak.

To implement the current version of the Irish driver into your NVDA:
1. Locate the NVDA folder in the Drop Box
2. On your PC, Rename the existing "espeak-data" folder in “C:\Program
Files\NVDA\synthDrivers" (you need this file to restore espeak to its
default configuration);
3. Copy the "espeak-data" folder from the Drop box into “C:\Program
Files\NVDA\synthDrivers";
4. Run or re-load NVDA
5. Bring up the NVDA menu with NVDA N
6. Choose "Preferences"
7. Choose "synthesiser" and make sure that eSpeak is selected;
8. Return to the Preferences" menu and choose "Voice settings";
9. The first tab is for language.Cursor down until you get to "Irish Gaeilge";
10. Save the configuration setting.
11. NVDA should now read in Irish.
Note: NVDA will send English text to the eSpeak synthesiser and the
text will not be spoken properly. However if you open Notepad and key
in some Irish text the eSpeak synthesiser should read okay. When you
are browsing the Internet in English, NVDA will automatically switch
to Irish if the website is marked up correctly and you have turned on
language recognition in NVDA.