[espeak-gaeilge] Version 2 of eSpeak Irish Gaeilge now set up in DropBox

  • From: Ronan McGuirk <ronan.p.mcguirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: espeak-gaeilge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 20:51:51 +0100

Hi all,

I have added Version 2 of the eSpeak Irish implementation to the
DropBox folder. This has some pronunciation changes.

I have
1. Replaced the 4 files in the eSpeak/Current Version folder
2. Added the Version 2 folder and contents  to the eSpeak/Archive version folder
3. Replaced the espeak-data folder in the espeak/nvda folder.
Please see separate documentation on how to compile espeak, or how to
add the espeak-data folder to NVDA .

Please let me know what you think of this version.

The changes in version 2 are mainly technical and the pronunciation of
most words should be similar to the previous version v1.01

The following chages are made:

1. I replaced the ph_irish file with new rules for phonemes based on
suggestions from Jonathan Duddington.  There is now a rule for  the
short vowel phonemes that if they are in an unstressed syllable, they
reduce to a schwa sound. Putting this rule into phonemes means that a
lot fewer rules are needed in the ga_rules file
2. I have re-ordered the rules in ga_rules, moving all rules relating
to the pronunciation of a consonant as broad or slender , to the group
for that consonant.  Previously some of these rules were in the vowel
groups. This makes the rules easier to follow and means that they more
explicitly  agree with the Irish Phonology section on Wikipedia. Also,
it means that fewer rules are needed.

3. I have tried to straighten out indentation in the ga_rules file to
make it easier to read for the sighted reader.

4. I have added in more comments to the ga_rules file.

Can you please try out version 2 and keep a list of all mispronounced
words and post them to this list so that I can apply any necessary
changes.

I hope to provide this version to Jonathan by the end of August, so it
would be great if you can identify any necessary changes before then.
Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir!

Best regards / le meas
Ronan