[espeak-gaeilge] Re: Feedback on Version 2.4 of eSpeak Gaeilge

  • From: RobbieS <robbiesin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: espeak-gaeilge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 07:54:59 +0000

Hi all,

If anyone is available to guide this relative illiterate (computer-wise) to
install the latest version of e-Speak tomorrow after 11, I'd be very
grateful.  I promise feedback within a few hours.

In the meantime, just to pick up on a couple of things:

The 'ui'- sound as in 'suim', 'cruinn', etc. is actually pronounced as a
normal short 'i' in Ulster, but in Connacht and Munster, it gets the 'ee'
sound, which is slightly shorter than an 'i-fada', and this is the form
used in Caighdeán, as far as I know.

As I've always understood it, the Irish form of Mayo is 'Maigh Eo', and can
be given ths sounds 'mwee-oh', or 'mway-oh'.

I'm thinking it would be easy to put in the rules regarding 'and 'idhe' =
i-fada, except before 'b', 'c', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'p', 'r', 's', 't', where
they get  a sound that corresponds to the English word 'eye'.

go n-éirí go geal linn,

Robbie