[espeak-gaeilge] Echoing Irish characters when typing or using cursor keys

  • From: Ronan McGuirk <ronan.p.mcguirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: espeak-gaeilge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:19:19 +0100

Hi Josh,
I am sorry this is causing you a problem. However, the good news is
that I have a temporary fix.

As you say, the current version of Irish with eSpeak doesn't echo
characters correctly when typing or when moving the cursor.

The reason for this is that NVDA sends characters as words to eSpeak
and eSpeak tries to say the character as a word.

I think there are a few approaches to fixing this in the longterm, in
order of preference:
1. Change NVDA so that it asks eSpeak to name the characters.
2. Develop an NVDA locale for Irish.
3. Develop a dynamic plugin for NVDA to update the symbols tables
4. Replace the NVDA symbols.dic file every time you start Irish with NVDA.

I have put together a version of the NVDA symbols.dic file that causes
the characters to echo correctly when using Irish. At present you need
to copy it to
overwrite nvda/locale/en/symbols.dic.

This works fine when the Irish voice is running. It doesn't work well
when you switch back to English so you need to copy the original
symbols.dic file back again.

However, if you are running Irish for a while it is a good way to be
able to spell words.

Hopefully we will get around to options 1 2 or 3 in time.
I have put the file, called Irish Symbols.dic into the current version
folder in the Drop Box.

To install this, do the following:

First, take a copy of your current nvda/locale/en/symbols.dic file.
You will need to use this to replace the Irish version when you go
back to English.

You need to overwrite the symbols.dic file  that is in the NVDA
English Locale folder with the Irish version. (I assume you normally
use NVDA with the English Locale).

On my pc, the file is located in
c:\program files\nvda\locale\en\symbols.dic

(When you switch back to English, you will need to replace the file
with the original English version you saved).

The symbols.dic file   is used by NVDA when you type or move the
cursor keys over characters. It is the name of the character that it
sends as a word to eSpeak. For this workaround, we are overwriting the
English file. As I mentioned above, a better long-term solution would
be for an Irish locale.

Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas on how best to
improve on this work-around.
Ronan