[esnr] Re: drawbacks and modesty please

  • From: "Lesley Parkinson" <lesleyparkinsoncp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:56:21 +0100

Dear All,
This only goes to reinforce the necessity for fora where practising clinicians can exchange ideas and tips on good practice. Unfortunately I agree we are in the foothills, and there has been too much propoganda and extravagant claims. Nevertheless there are some astonishingly fruitful applications of Neurofeedback with MTBI that I think justify cautious optimism.
I am finding that one generally needs to proceed slowly and cautiously with Neurofeedback with patients with MTBI, headaches, emotional and sleep disturbance can be side-effects if one proceeds too rapidly.
Headaches can also be a precursor to improvement. It is important to hold one's nerve.
Kind Regards
Lesley

From: "Gruzelier, John H" <j.gruzelier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [esnr] Re: drawbacks and modesty please
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:47:01 +0100

Ineke,

Your thoughts are well received. In all of this work we are in the foothills, if we have even reached that far.

I hope you might join in discussion of this approach at the next meeting.

Together with Niels Birbaumer's work with locked-in patients, work with spinal cord injury seems to me the most difficult Everest to climb.

John