[esnr] The virtues of a trim organization

  • From: Joe Siri Ekgren <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:03:26 +0200

Dear listmates,

Joel Lubar, president of the ISNR, has, in a=20
letter to the membership, underscored that the=20
ISNR is focused on science, and there should be=20
no need for two separate organizations. As far as=20
I can see the ESNR/SAN and the ISNR agree on=20
focusing on science, but may want to acquire and=20
spread  knowledge in different ways.

A major issue, is the ability to make quick=20
decisions and allowing the SAN board and members=20
to develop their own solutions.

An example could be that the ESNR/SAN held an=20
electronic ballot (smoothly implemented by=20
Patricia Bellinghausen) which cut costs radically=20
while saving a lot of time for everyone involved=20
(except for Patricia...).

Another example: A future ESNR/SAN journal will=20
probably be electronic, saving distribution cost=20
and time. Hopefully it will be a FREE service=20
(after all scientific work in our field is mainly=20
financed by public institutions), thus making it=20
a valuable resource for researchers as well as=20
clinicians. Would the ISNR oppose a second=20
journal which is free? Very likely.

I know I will subscribe to the JNT whether there=20
is a European neuroscience journal or not, and I=20
believe most members will. Will europeans still=20
turn up at the US ISNR and AAPB conferences? Of=20
course!

Even though large membership numbers may seem=20
appealing, bigger isn=B4t always better. A small=20
organization here in Europe has a number of=20
benefits such as:
- The ability to make decisions quickly.
- Not having to communicate in the middle of the=20
night with boardmembers in the US.
- Being outside the US don=B4t have to worry about american legal action.
Light travel makes for a pleasant journey.

I am sure the ESNR/SAN is grateful for the=20
economic start-up support from the ISNR, and I=20
believe that we are keeping the spirit of that=20
gift by promoting this exciting field. Having=20
separate organizations doesn=B4t mean splitting the=20
field. On the contrary, I think different=20
approaches will complement each other.

I am excited about the new developments from SAN=20
which will benefit clinicians and scientists,=20
with member-driven activity, furthering the=20
enthusiasm shared by leading neuroscientists at=20
the excellent Winterthur conference!

Best regards

--
Joe Siri Ekgren MD