[esnr] Re: FW: SAN

  • From: "Lesley Parkinson" <lesleyparkinsoncp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:01:40 +0100

I endorse these comments of Nils.However, I think we need to consider the needs of reserch scientists and of clinicians. At both Udine and Winterthur I was struck by how excited some of the academic researchers were to be sharing ideas and information, and presumably SAN will provide further opportunity for that.
Of course there will be cross-fertilisation between researchers and clinicians too.
A concern I have is that we may still be without a forum for clinicians, even those who are scientist-practitioners.
This is in many ways a relatively new area, so I am always keen to share experiences with other clinicians. Currently I am seeing more clients with MTBI, and others with Bipolar Disorder. I am using Neurofeedback and am encouraged by the results. These are two client groups that I have worked with previously, but not using Neurofeedback.
I have found other practitioners to share ideas with, but it occurs to me that for scientists peer-review and acceptance is provided through publication in respected journals and conference presentations.
Clinicians are perhaps more used to case-practice review, clinical discussion fora and meeting professional CPD requirements, including workshop attendance and incorporating what is learnt into clinical practice.
I am wondering whether SAN will have a role for these areas for clinicians or whether something else will be needed.
Clinical practice topics and issues would not often be able to get past an academic conference committee!
Regards to all.
Lesley

From: "Gruzelier, John H" <j.gruzelier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [esnr] FW: SAN
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:27:30 +0100

-----Original Message----- From: Prof. Dr. Niels Birbaumer [mailto:niels.birbaumer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: 28 June 2004 13:08 To: Gruzelier, John H Subject: Re: SAN

Re: Society of Applied Neuroscience (SAN)

The foundation of a SAN is a necessary step to integrate research and application of systemic neuroscience for clinical and non-clinical use. From self-regulation of brain processes to behavioral technologies to alter brain function (cortical reorganization) controlled experimental research should be unified in such a society. I enthusiastically welcome such an initiative and hope for a large and growing membership.

Prof. Niels Birbaumer

Prof. Dr. Niels Birbaumer
Institut für Medizinische Psychologie
und Verhaltensneurobiologie